Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Top Ten

I spoke with a friend today who mentioned she was madly trying to finish making Christmas presents. With finances so tight, she made a lot of her gifts. I couldn't help but notice the joy in her voice. I hope the recipients of her gifts will appreciate the love and effort she's invested in them.

Handmade gifts often require a chunk of time, but not always. I smile when I think of some of the treasures I've received or ones I'd like to have. Making your own gifts won't always be free, but can be less expensive and more meaningful than searching the stores or internet for the perfect gift. It's too late for these to be of any value this year, but maybe if I plan ahead for next year...one of these days it's going to happen.

1. Homebaked goodies. I'm not sure why these get a bad rap. I'm not much of a baker (I blame the altitude.) A plate of cookies is delightful. A loaf of bread is nice too.

2. Recipes, especially those secret ones that were handed down from your grandmother.

3. What would be nicer than a homecooked or ready-to-cook freezer meal? It's the perfect future gift. On one-of-those-days when I'm busy, tired, or stressed out, I can pull that present right out of the freezer. I'll open and enjoy when I need it most. Plus, my family reaps the benefits.

4. A music CD with meaningful, fun, or interesting music/songs. Personally, I love music. An incredibly romantic gift could be one song, packed full of sentiment, burned onto a CD.

5. For my younger nieces and nephews, I've always thought a fun gift would be that of a card or note once a month for a year. I'd try to include stickers, pictures, or a dollar occasionally and words of encouragement. What child doesn't enjoy receiving mail? Email is overrated in the eyes of a child.

6. A CD/DVD with a photo slideshow, especially fun put to music. Include fun and goofy photos. Perfectly posed photos become boring. Laughter & tears blended together create wonderful memories of joy.

7. The gift of time. Give a card with a date on it. It can be simple or extravagant.

Join me: January 31st, at 4:00p.m
Location: Starbucks
Occasion: A time to kick back, conversate, enjoy a warm drink & good company

To make it even more interesting, give the same gift to 2 or 3 friends and plan to meet at a time when the holidays are over. Catch up and have a great time.

8. A memory, love note, prayer, or blessing written out.

9. Kitchen/Dining things, tablecloths made to fit my extra-large table, napkins, placemats, table runners. (This one is extra exciting for me.) I asked my mom for a tablecloth this year. Have you ever tried to find a tablecloth to fit a table that is 120 inches long and 54 inches wide? Or buy 12-14 matching placemats at 6 dollars a piece? Add cloth napkins in and it isn't going to happen here. I know these aren't cheap to make either, but what a wonderful gift.

10. Service Gifts-A promise to wash a car, make a meal, sweep a floor, do a load of laundry. But don't give an empty promise, follow through. If necessary, give a specific date that you are available to do this.

So there it is. My top ten list of gifts that don't require you to get out your credit card, wander the malls aimlessly, or search the internet for hours on end trying to find the perfect gift.

I'd love to hear your top ten.
(Edited to add, scrapbooks, notecards, artwork, photocards, etc. to number 6. And to number 9, potholders, aprons, kitchen towels and the like.) Just in case. I'll try not to add to this list again today, but please do add your ideas.

5 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Nice ideas! I love getting baked goods, even tho I like to bake. Someone else's bread is always a treat! I am thinking over a couple of these for next year possibilities. Thank you!

Melanie said...

A couple years ago I got all the photo albums from when my bro and I were little and scanned all the pics and put them on CD's for my bro for Christmas. It took months to do, but it was worth it!

Julie said...

OHH ! what a great list, Joanne! And I agree that a gift 'thought out from the heart and home made' has a value 'store-bought' can't match!
This year for our church bible study Christmas night we did the 'White Elephant' gift exchange - where the gift was supposed to be something you didn't want anymore or something you made. It went against my nature to give as a gift something I didn't want so I decided to make peanut brittle and package it in a tin box. To my surprise it was the one everyone fought over !!

PJ said...

Love the ideas for gifts. Those would work for birthdays, Mother's Day, anytime really! Thanks

Sorry I haven't been by lately. I haven't made the gifts, but sure have stayed busy!!! Where, oh where, does the time go?

Kristin said...

Definitely meals are a favorite gift of mine. When I have a baby, church friends usually give us some and they mean more than anything (esp. because I hate to cook in general.)

Great list. I'm still making a DVD of photos for my Mom and, of course, family members love getting scrapbooks, too.