Monday, March 30, 2009

I'd like my dignity please.

Back before I was enlightened, I naively believed doctors operated on a professional level. Translated, I thought they were above suspicion of being voyeurs. A doctor didn't notice me as a person. I was merely a patient. He didn't notice my undergarments, whether or not I shaved my legs. I felt doctors achieved this status something like mothers do.

A young lady in her teens would be completely mortified if someone vomitted on her or she on someone else. (This happened to a friend. She blew chunks of lunch down the back of the student sitting in front of her. Can you imagine finishing your high school years with that reputation?) Once this girl becomes a mom, without thinking, she holds her hands out in front of a puking child to catch the contents. Or casually cleans up the spilled contents of a leaky diaper.

I supposed that whether a doctor was looking down my throat or peering between my legs, he was just doing his job. He didn't see me as a real person.

And then I was enlightened.

I was almost 5 months pregnant with Hilary. I was having a lot of back pain, making it difficult to care for my 4 children. I decided to make an appointment with a chiropractor. I had to wait 2 days before seeing him.

I was miserable. Not only from the shooting pain, but I was depressed at my pitiful wardrobe. I was just pregnant enough that I didn't fit into my regular clothing. But after 4 pregnancies, my maternity clothes were pretty ragged. Knowing this would be my last need for them, I resisted buying new ones. I especially didn't want to spend the ridiculous price on underwear. Afterall, I would only be wearing them for a few more months and they were more expensive than beautiful lingerie.

The morning of my appointment, the only clean underwear in my drawer was 2 pairs that had holes in them. I was embarrassed to the point that I became desperate. What if I had to change into a gown at the doctor's office? What would he think of my holy, err, holie...you know, underwear with holes in it? I had an idea.

I opened my husbands top dresser drawer. Inside was a neat stack of soft, white, cotton underwear. Carefully, I pulled a pair out and tried them on. Wow! Men's underwear was so nice and comfy. They fit nicely over my pudgy belly. They were even soft around the legs. No scratchy elastic. They were almost perfect. Except for the pocket in the front and that darn wasteband with the words hanes running around it.

If I was getting a back adjustment, the doctor would never see the fly front. I tried rolling the waistband down so it was tucked neatly on the inside. It worked! I was pleased with my new, white, non-holed undies. Off to the chiropractor I went.

I almost forgot about my little secret, until I was asked to change into a gown. I smiled sheepishly to myself. Nobody would ever notice. The doctor entered the room, & introduced himself. After discussing my back problem, the fact that I was pregnant and couldn't be ex-rayed, he was ready to do an adjustment. He had me lay face down on the table.

I felt the gown open in the back, as I got into position. I shot a prayer to heaven that he wouldn't notice my whity-tidies. And then it happened. I felt something grab the back of my underwear. With a firm grip, he tugged. The Hanes waistband was exposed. He gasped. Still grasping the underwear he blurted out, "What's this?"

No words came. Awkward didn't begin to describe the situation. I couldn't even mumble. He finally released his grasp. "Why are you wearing men's underwear?" He was obviously horrified.

It was then, that I realized, not all doctors act in a professional manner. They do notice things like unshaven legs, or if you are wearing men's underwear. Some doctors would be merciful and allow me some dignity, laughing only when they retold the story at dinner that night. This one probably chuckled with his family later, but did not spare the me the humiliation.

I never saw him again.

8 comments:

Denise said...

EEK!!! I think I would have gone off on the guy. Glad you never went back, what a jerk!!!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

YOW! Unbelievable! I mean, so stupid of him on SO MANY levels! I have to wonder, what got you thinking of this again??

Heth said...

What was he thinking? Not very professional.

Truth said...

Singing Owl, I think what caused me to remember this incident was my daughter Sarabeth. One of her friends recently nominated her mom for the t.v. show, "What Not To Wear." Her mom chooses not to buy herself new underwear. When she doesn't have any clean, she just wears whatever clean ones she can find-no matter who they belong to. This includes her husband.

I can't imagine doing that. Looking back, I can laugh and ask myself, "what was I thinking?" But at the time, money was tight and it made sense.

cheryl said...

I think pregnancy can do that.. make you wonder what you were thinking.. or not.. It's really a pretty cute story. One time, taking a sick child into the dr.'s, I was standing in a crowded waiting room at the desk, my child pulled on my skirt and asked if I knew I had 1 black and 1 tan shoe on? (Same style). Of course I looked down (could hardly see them!) and nodded yes. How did that happen? But, it was good for me, to see how I wanted people to think highly of me. A good opportunity to work on humility.
I'm sorry, it being April Fool's Day, I keep smiling at the thought of a pregnant woman in Hanes!!!

His Girl said...

I think I just fainted.

gretchen from lifenut said...

Jerk!

ann said...

I'm sorry the chiropractor was so insensitive, Joanne. And you aren't the only one who wore men's underpants during pregnancy *wink*