Friday, April 24, 2009

Prom

Tonight is the prom, so will be posting pictures tomorrow of my beautiful daughter, Hilary. (If I can get it, I'll have all of my beautiful daughters in the pic, but I don't think they will all make it here before she leaves.)

When I was in high school, I don't recall asking someone to prom as being a big deal. You either were asked or not. Nowadays, it seems a big to-do is made just in the asking. How did this happen? Is it across the country or just in our area? Maybe too many t.v. shows of spoiled rich kids being broadcast. I don't know.

Hilary is dating David, so there was never really a question of who she would with to the prom. A couple of weeks ago, after she'd left for school, I received a text message.

*I got asked.* It's hard to tell if she is excited or mad. I respond:

"Cool!" Anything special?"

*yes* I wait to see to hear more. Nothing. Ok, it could be because she is in class, but I am not patient.

"Well? Is that it?"

*He was waiting in my parking space when I got there. He had a fish tank*

"A what?" I understand text messages are short, but like I said, I want details now.

*1 big fish, 3 small fish* ....waiting....

*Oh, and a piece of paper*

"Real live fish?" In my mind, I imagine she meant a fish bowl, not a fish tank. I'm hoping for plastic fish.

Here is the actual message:


Very cute. She then messages me back.

*Real fish. What should I do with them?*

Oh boy. I'm already feeling sorry for these poor fish. I text her back.

"Where are the fish now?"

*Mr. P's classroom.* The basketball coach. And like any good mother, who jumps in to take care of everything, I respond:

"Ask David. It was his idea." LOL, yes, I did tell her that. Sort of how I responded when I got a message yesterday asking,

*Did we order a boutonniere?*

I laughed wondering what "we" she is talking about.

But when she said David was holding a fish tank, she really did mean a tank not a bowl.

2 comments:

ann said...

Oh wow! That is creative! Our school back in Iowa didn't do creative stuff like that. Maybe they do now, I'm not sure. Can't wait to take a look at the pictures!

Heth said...

Oh that is too precious. Good job David! Super creative.