Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thunk Thursday

I missed the photo op on this one. So I improvised. I was grocery shopping today. In the produce aisle, I found the following sign:

New Lower Price Fresh Express Salad
$2.99 10 oz. pkg.


Right below this sign was the usual price tag which read:

Fresh Express Salad
$2.49 12 oz. pkg.

So, the new lower price is 50 cents more, and it is for a smaller package. I couldn't find a 10 oz. package. Only the usual 12 oz. package.
I chatted with the produce manager who seemed very flustered when I pointed it out. He went to the back to check the price. Sure enough. The new "lower" price on a 12 oz. pkg, (not 10 oz.) was indeed 50 cents higher. He offered to give me the $2.49 price. I accepted it, but then later kicked myself.
I should have taken it to the checkout, waited until it rang up at $2.99, then pointed out that the advertised price (for a 12 oz. bag, which this was) was $2.49. I then would have gotten it free, as per the store policy. If an item rings up at an incorrect price, it is free. I've received $20 packages of chicken for free before. It pays to watch prices. I blew this one.

No comments: