Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Flashbacks

Because I'm headed to my 30th High School Reunion this weekend, thought I'd revisit the past. This is how my classmates may remember me.

Back when I was in the 4th grade, my family moved from one small town to another. We were the new kids on the block. We rented a home with a cool, wheelchair accessible ramp out the back door. It made running outside a quick exit, with no stairs to slow us down. I don't recall who first noticed, but one cold winter night, ice had formed on the ramp. This created a spectacular downhill sliding surface.

We happened out the door this particular night, because my parents were preoccupied. They had invited guests over for dinner. As soon as the meal ended and the adults were content visiting in the living room, we slipped out back. Literally. My sister, who loved ice skating, thought that the ice should be deeper. It was so cold, that when we poured water down the ramp it froze almost instantly. It was exciting! Bucket after bucket cascaded down, until we had one of the finest ice slides ever created by kids.

Eagerly, but politely, we took turns sliding down our enormous hill-until my brother's competitive nature emerged. We ran back into the house, ever so quietly, in search of our slickest, smoothest shoes. We were going to race. I was the last one to find an old pair of boots, that were several sizes too big. My older siblings, after several runs had nearly perfected their speed by the time I snuck back outside. After what seemed forever, it was finally my turn.

Greg and I poised at the top of the slope. On your mark, get set, go! I was ahead for a split second, then my brother pushed ahead. With that push I fell face first onto the ice. I don't recall much after that. I do remember blood dripping down, and my sister holding me back from going to my mom so we wouldn't get into trouble. I think little sister went screaming to my parents and the rest is sort of blurry.

My lip was split open and it hurt pretty bad. My parents were more concerned with missing front teeth. I was whisked away, into the dark of night, to an emergency dentist. I came home with a fat lip and shiny new teeth in a sterling silver color. The next day, my brother found two teeth sticking out of the ice.

That Christmas I sang, "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth." I sang it every year. The nickname "tinsel teeth" stuck. I endured much teasing and laughter because of my metallic smile. At times I felt like a freak. I learned to smile with my mouth closed until I was 18.

I do believe God used this as a character building event in my life, creating compassion and tenderness into my heart towards others.

1 comment:

Mother Mayhem said...

I like your character! :o)