Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I Feel Like A New Person

I just took a shower! I know, it isn't usually something to celebrate, just one of those things you do whether you feel like it or not. Today it was heavenly-my first shower in 4 days. I know what you are thinking...WHAT? This is the same person who tells us she washes her hair EVERY SINGLE DAY and spends loads of time messing with it.

Last Thursday I spent 3 hours in the shower. The water was not running. I scraped every little bit of caulking from the seams and edges. I used 3 different tools, 3 cleaning products during those 3 hours. I think it was a record. I then waited 3 days for it to completely dry out before asking the man of the house to recaulk it. I asked him to please try to find the very best mold and mildew resistant caulking on the market. When he responded with, "they have caulking that resists mold?" I knew why I'd spent 3 long hours with blood, sweat, and tears.

In the meantime, I took glorious soaks in the bathtub. I'd forgotten how wonderful my skin feels submerged in silky softness. Memories of childhood danced in my head. I thought of my days as a young mom, when I only dreamed of a few moments of bathing in privacy. I would have given up anything to lounge leisurely in this lap of luxury.

On Saturday, my bath was quick. Ethan was here. I had quite a workout washing and rinsing my hair in the tub. That was the day I remembered the harried times of mothering young children and bathing as fast as humanly possible. It made me wonder...was Jesus ever able to bathe in private once he began his public ministry?

Can you just imagine him sneaking off to the river to bathe, only to find hoards of people following him? His job as a "mom" was way harder than any mom I know. He had so many children, always wanting something, demanding, pleading, begging. He had to steal away just to find time to pray, I can only presume how difficult it must have been to find a moment of private for daily things like go to the bathroom.

Gosh my life is easy.

All of this to say, would you buy a home that didn't have a bathtub? Why or why not? I've put a poll up in my sidebar and would love to hear your thoughts. Yes you. Thanks!

4 comments:

gretchen from lifenut said...

I think a bathtub is imperative, especially with little ones. It's hard to splash and play in a shower...

If I didn't have small children, I wouldn't really care. Although, I'd take a big clawfoot tub over a shower any day. Most average bathtubs are lame-o.

~Tammy~ said...

Hi! Just commenting in Re to your comment on my blog... yes, I have lived in Texas! I grew up there, around the Ft Worth area. When you are ready to mark it off your bucket list, give me a call and I will meet you!
~Tammy~

Jennifer said...

This post gave me quite a chuckle. I am sitting here trying to think of all the simple things Jesus must have forfeited in his very public ministry. Thank you for the intriguing thought!

Also, to answer your main point, I personally would not live in a home without a bathtub because both my children are still in bath-phase. That being said, I would buy a home without one if it was possible to install one later. My husband loves being handy in those sorts of things! I responded in your poll too.

Thanks for the good post!

Mother Mayhem said...

Hm. Even though He was in human form, I never thought of Jesus of ever getting dirty... The footwashing, yes, but Jesus dirty? Scratching head...