Monday, February 21, 2011

Monday Morning

Did anyone notice? A couple of posts back, I mentioned I felt like a million bucks ? I was having a good hair day. I complain a LOT about my hair, and when it looks nice, I often say nothing. Would it seem like bragging if I proclaimed, "I look fabulous today?" The more humble approach would be: "I'm having a GREAT hair day." Either way, I really should say it more often.

Growing up, back before it was stated in such terms, I rarely had a good hair day. I do remember the terms, "Day 1" and "Day 2" girls being thrown around. In case you missed it, a Day 1 girl was one whose hair tended to be oily. Her hair looked best the first day it was washed. (Nobody but nobody washed their hair every day.) A Day 2 girl had dry hair that reacted strongly to shampoo, straining every direction in search of moisture. By the second or even third day, it would finally calm down a bit-just in time to wash it again.

I had incredibly curly hair. It was during the 70's and afros were big then. Very big! I think the real reason for their popularity is because products didn't exist that could tame or smooth tight curls. It was easier to go with the natural bend of hair. The bigger the better, the more the merrier. The only problem was my blonde hair and light skin didn't fit in with the rest of my afro sporting friends.


Nevermind. I forgot, there were a few of us that stood out.

No comments: