Sunday, March 18, 2012

Ethan's Latest


Ethan likes to chew on things.  More recently, he seems to be growing out of it.  But when he came home from the dentist Wednesday, he couldn't help chewing on his funny feeling lip.  It swelled pretty big.  It looked like it would be quite painful once the numbness wore off.  We offered him popsicles, hoping to take down the swelling and distract him from gnawing any further.

Before heading back to the Springs, Ethan wanted a bandage for his finger.  It was his third one that day.  As I'd done the previous 2 times, I applied Neosporin, and asked where it hurt.  He pointed to his finger.  I looked hard, but couldn't see anything.  I wound the bandage around his imaginary wound.

It wasn't until some time later, that it dawned on me-Ethan isn't a big bandaid fan.  The fact that he asked for them 3 times caused me concern that maybe he really was injured.  Could he have broken his finger or something that I couldn't see and he hoped a bandage would make it feel better?

Christina phoned a bit later to ask if I knew anything she could put on his swollen lip.  I made my suggestions, then remembered his finger.  I mentioned my concern.  She said he'd tried to show her his owie in the car, but she couldn't see anything while she was driving.  While we were on the phone, she called Ethan over to look at his finger.  By then, his hand was swollen.  She needed to get off of the phone to take him in and have it checked.

His hand was ex-rayed, but no break could be found.  Dr. thought it might be sprained.  Ethan began crying because they weren't going to "fix it." She had to take home a very sad little boy. 


By the next morning his hand looked like this:


Christina took him to urgent care.  They recognized it was infected and gave him 2 antibiotic injections.  Unfortunately, within hours it was obvious that it was not getting better but worse.  They headed back to the ER.  The infection was spreading up his arm rapidly.  It was a long night, but after a reaction to one of the IV antibiotics, and a transfer to a different hospital, they had him admitted by 2:00 a.m.

Thankfully, he is recovering well.

We are hoping they let him go home tomorrow.

No comments: