Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My New Job

 I recently committed to picking Ethan up every other Wednesday to take him to music therapy.  Yesterday was the first day for me to drive an hour and 15 minutes to his school, pick him up, then drive 38 minutes to therapy.

Once in the car, I explained that I was taking him to therapy (not Grandpa's.) Afterwards I would take him to get something to eat.  He began signing and telling me something.  Grrr...I wish I understood his signs better.

"Ethan, get Gramma's Ipad out of her purse.  Find the app that has the owl.  See if you can tell me on there."  It has been a very long time since we've attempted to use that speaking program.  The school chooses to use another speak system that frustrates me beyond belief, but enough of that.  Within a couple of minutes, he was in the program and it was saying dinosaurs.  That was the mode where we last left it. The next thing I hear is, "I want Dr. Pepper."

I look at the clock, then the GPS.  There is no time to stop.  We should arrive at our destination in 23 minutes, exactly 3:30.  His water bottle in his backpack is empty. I feel like a bad gramma.  This kid gets on the bus at 8:30 a.m.  School starts at 9:00.  Normally he doesn't get out of school until 3:30 where he again rides the bus arriving home between 4:00-4:30.  That is a long, darn day.  On Mondays and Wednesdays therapy doesn't get over until 4:45.  Then there is that long drive home.

"I'm sorry Buddy, we will get one when we get something for dinner." I hand him my phone that has the GPS and tell him he can FaceTime with one of his aunts. Instead he is fascinated with the map and begins telling me directions to go, gesturing and pointing. We finally arrive at the appointed time, but all I can think about is my 11 year old grandson has never asked me for a drink, let alone for a Dr. Pepper-and I can't do anything about it. Grrr....

 I have to say though, I am very excited about his music therapy. I believe it will open new areas of his brain development. This is about all I could see from my vantage point.  I listened to them singing and doing activities. Occasionally he would see me and smile, then go on with what he was doing.

After therapy and driving 40 minutes, Ethan and I stopped at Chik-fil-A to get that long awaited Dr. Pepper.

See you next Wednesday Ethan!

Truthfully,
Joanne

 "And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by no means lose his reward." (Mt. 10:42)

 12/17/13

No comments: