Sunday, February 14, 2016

Happy Birthday Dad

Growing up in a family with 4 kids, I didn't get to much one-on-one time with my dad. Whenever I had the chance to tag-a-long on an errand, especially when my siblings chose to stay home, I jumped at the chance. My parents owned a laundromat for awhile and one afternoon Dad and I headed out to take care of the chores. We worked hard. 

We filled the dispenser machines with product, and emptied the coins. While dad filled and emptied the change machine, I cleaned out the lint trap on each of the washers.  Everything was wiped down and cleaned. Dad let me mop the floors with the big string mop and wringer bucket. I felt so strong flinging it back and forth. He locked up and I climbed up into his old blue pickup truck. As usual, he set the big metal coin box between the two front seats next to the gear shift. As a reward for our hard work, we each had a cold soda pop we wedged between our legs for the 20 minute drive home, a Pepsi for him, Mountain Dew for me. He started the engine, but before shifting, he leaned over and opened the metal box. He pulled out a 50 cent piece and handed it to me.

"Here. You worked hard today and I'm glad you came with me." I took the shiny coin. It felt like a million bucks, mostly because of the pride with which it was given. As we drove home, we listened to country music and sang. No, we jammed. The tin box became our snare drum and the handle of it made a tambourine sound. Dad would slap the side with the back of his hand, tap the top to jingle the metal together, beating to the rhythm of each song. When it was my turn, I was a little shy as I knew I wasn't as good as he was. Dad encouraged me to just feel the rhythm. By the time we got home, He turned to me and said, "we make a pretty good harmony team." I felt like a master drummer.  Getting out of the car, I don't remember feeling tired, but I believe I walked a little taller.

(I know I've shared this memory before, but was thinking about it and thought I'd share it again.)

Truthfully,
Joanne
For he gave his laws to Israel and commanded our fathers to teach them to their children, (Ps. 78:5)

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I love love love memories like this. I wish more people would share more memories so the memories can stay alive. Happy birthday Papa!

Truth said...

Thanks Elisabeth! I wish the same.