Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Wonderful World

For my birthday, Michael made dinner reservations at the Mercury Cafe. I've never been there before. My only connection to this place are memories of my oldest daughter Christina, going there in high school for Swing Dancing. I was quite certain Michael had not planned for us to take swing dance lessons. We didn't. The reason for choosing the Mercury Cafe was the band. Michael knows how much I enjoy live music. A few years back he met this guy Steve playing golf. Steve plays mostly Irish music, but occasionally performs with other bands. The day before my birthday, we were notified that because of health issues, Steve would not be playing. I wasn't sure what to expect, but we went anyway.

The food was delicious, organic and gluten free. And then the music began.

The very first song tugged at my heart. When the chorus hit, tears trickled down my face.


"Good morning, America, How are you? Say don't you know me? I'm your native son I'm the train they call the city of New Orleans..."



I was enjoying the music immensely but had a sudden, deep yearning for New Orleans,
and to see my son, Christopher, his wife Lauren, and their girls Ivydee and Jolie. New Orleans has a rich music history and the daily offerings of live music is plenteous.

The first three songs I could not stop the tears. I felt joy, sadness, love, and longing. The forth was an upbeat song. I was smiling again.  In the middle of the song, the lead singer remarked that this is where the saxophone solo should be. The mandolin player picked his best sax solo. Instantly I was transported back to junior high school. I didn't play saxophone, but I did play alto clarinet which is very similar. Seventh grade band was when I became friends with Kathleen. She sat in front of me in the clarinet section. She was quite friendly, I think because she had a crush on my brother. Thirty years later, she became my sister--in-law. Tears.

After a few lively Irish songs my tears were gone and I was tapping along to the music. Then the mandolin player performed a few impressive solos. The water works flowed again. I imagined my dad playing the mandolin or his steel guitar. He would  have enjoyed this performance by Mark, and his picking of the 12 string guitar and mandolin. I wish I could share moments like this with my dad.

Some songs were fun to hear, others stirred intense emotions. I missed Sarabeth, Travis and my newest grandbaby Aspen.

I thought about the upcoming wedding of Hilary and Ryan, and I wondered what song they would use for their first dance. I imagined Michael dancing with his youngest for the father daughter dance. Would it be Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World?" Ah, New Orleans memories again.

Thank-you Michael for a lovely evening. It was perfect, except the music made me miss family. I love spending time with you and I love you more than ever!

Truthfully,
Joanne

"Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth, burst into jubilant song with music;" (Ps. 98:4)

(I found this draft from March 14th so decided to post it.)



2 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

Awesome! I am glad it was such a lovely time!

Elisabeth said...

What a nice post, It's crazy how much music can stir up emotion