Monday, November 07, 2016

Atlanta Day 6


Have I mentioned I'm the new owner of an IPhone 7? Since I have the newest Apple phone, I should be able to use a mobile boarding pass instead of the cumbersome printing, folding, and wrinkling of the paper ones. My last day in Atlanta, I check in for my flight and download my mobile boarding pass.

After an uneventful rental car return, I ride the sky train to the Atlanta airport. I'm feeling rather proud of myself for filling the tank in a sketchy neighborhood and navigating back to the route without getting lost. Exiting the train, I have two choices: North or South.  I notice other passengers looking around for any indication of which side to go to. I pull out my new phone. Phone doesn’t recognize my fingerprint and I have to type in the 6 character passcode. Reminder to self: Disable the passcode.

My mobile boarding pass gives no indication of North or South. Surely Southwest is in the South part of the airport, right?  Wrong. I walk and walk.


After walking and walking, I find the Southwest check in counter. I pull out my phone to scan my mobile boarding pass. Phone doesn’t recognize my fingerprint and I have to type in my new 6 character passcode. Reminder to self: Disable the passcode. I scan my pass, check my bag. All is well.

To get through security and not have to put in my passcode again, I keep tapping the screen with my thumb so I will be ready when it's my turn. Next time I fly, I will wear slip on shoes and an outfit that doesn't require a belt. I gather my belongings after the body scan and practically redress. I then realize I don't know which terminal I am leaving out of. I pull out my phone. Phone doesn’t recognize my fingerprint and I have to type in my new 6 character passcode. Reminder to self: Disable the passcode.

I ride the down escalator, board the train, and exit Terminal C. The Atlanta airport is huge. I walk and walk. Unlike Denver International, there are no moving sidewalks here. I reach the end of the terminal. On one side are gates 52 and 54. The other side 53, 55, and 57. WTH? I'm leaving out of C-56. There is no 56 gate. I know many jokes circulate about men never wanting to stop to ask for directions. This is not true of my husband; he will stop to ask directions the first moment he needs help. Not me. I'm the one who hates to ask for directions. I circle around the end of the terminal several times. There truly isn't a number 56. I begin to actually look for someone to ask for help. I then realize all of these gates are Delta Gates and I'm flying Southwest. Ugh! I pull out my phone. Phone doesn’t recognize my fingerprint and I have to type in my new 6 character passcode. Reminder to self: Disable the passcode.

I glance at my pass and in bold is A-56. How did I get it wrong? I walk and walk. I ride the down escalator, board the train, and exit Terminal A. At the top of the escalator are signs pointing left for A gates 1-25 and right for gates 26-50.  I walk around and around. There is no signage pointing to gate A-56. In desperation, I find 2 airport employees standing in front of an airport map. I ask them where I can find A-56. One doesn't think there is such a gate, the other claims it must be the other direction. I point to the map, showing the gates end at A-50, then show them my mobile boarding pass that says A-56. They shrug their shoulders saying there is no such thing. I thank them and begin walking away.  As I do, I look down at my phone. The screen has darkened and I resort to the routine. You know, the passcode. Grrr.... I stare at my boarding pass. I realize my error. A-56 is NOT my gate, it is my Southwest boarding number. In tiny print I see my Gate: C1.

I ride the down escalator, board the train, and exit Terminal C. I walk and walk to the end (or is it the beginning?) of Terminal C. An hour has passed since trying to find my gate. I shouldn’t be allowed to use mobile boarding passes. I also need to disable my passcode.

Truthfully,
Joanne

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;" (Phil. 4:6)

1 comment:

~Tammy~ said...

This sounds like one my adventures in flying! You got your exercise for sure!