Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Dropped

Recently a friend inquired whether or not I felt like God had dropped me. She wasn't accusing, insinuating, or even believing this. She merely wanted to know if that is how I felt. Tears filled my eyes, as it so frequently happens these days.

I reassured my friend that I did NOT feel like God had dropped me. Two days prior, a memory popped into my mind. I cried that day too, at least a few times.

Twenty-five years ago, I took my youngest child to church for the first time. She was two weeks old. After service, I picked her up from the nursery, then went to gather the other four from their various classrooms. Somehow, as I was stepping down the concrete steps to the gym, I lost my footing. It's amazing how quickly things go through your mind in a moment of distress. As I tumbled, I wondered if my dress would end up over my head with everyone watching. Not really. I thought of that later. The only thought I had was protecting my newborn baby and not letting go of her. I couldn't catch myself or break my fall. Both arms remained wrapped around this precious child.

I quickly gathered myself and picked the two of us up off the floor. Amazingly,  were both unhurt, except for a bit of my pride. A week or so later, I was praying. I was struggling with feeling unimportant, unloved, and neglected. In His still small voice the Lord asked me, "have you ever dropped one of your little ones?" Instantly I remembered falling down the stairs, and yet, I did not drop my little one. He told me He too would never drop one of His little ones and I was one of His own. He brought to mind a verse in scripture,

"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you. See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me."


A week before my friend asked me if I felt God dropped me, I was at a low point. The Lord graciously dropped this reminder into my heart. I had forgotten about both the incident and His promise. What a blessed reassurance to know that He feels the same loving card towards me as I do about my own. I can trust that He is always looking out for me and will never let me go.

Truthfully,
Joanne






"And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."

No comments: