Monday, April 24, 2017

Health

Boring title, I know. Years ago my sister warned me that as we aged, I was not allowed to talk about health problems, aches and pains, etc. Neither of us was allowed, as she said it was a sure sign of being "old." My grandma passed away at 80. She never complained about her numerous ailments. She had a younger sister who did. She told me once (or more than once) that if her sister, Rose, would quit complaining her life would be so much better. "I love my sister, but hearing about her aches and pains constantly is depressing. Makes me want to not spend time with her." Grandma was a wise woman. So is my sister.

Having said that, I'm not about to complain....at least not about my health. What I will tell you is for some time we have not been able to afford health insurance. Imagine that. We finally gave in and applied for the laughable, I mean affordable care act insurance. I don't know how anyone could call it affordable.

One of my prescriptions, I have not been taking regularly as it is too expensive. I was happy to have it refilled now that we have insurance. At the pharmacy, I handed the clerk my new insurance card. After inputing my information into his computer, he apologized. "I'm sorry, Ma'am, but your insurance doesn't cover this medication." He turned to the pharmicist to ask if there was a generic alternative. Turns out there is not. That's unfortunate. I will have to work for 4 days a month to pay for this medication. Guess I will go back to taking as little as possible of it, to stretch it out and hope it works enough.

Sigh.

Guess I shouldn't complain about health issues or health insurance. Thanks Grandma and Carolyn.

Truthfully,
Joanne

"Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

No comments: