Friday, November 16, 2007

Thanksgiving Memories II

I am not a planner by nature. I don't multitask well. (Does anyone?) I tend to deal with today's agenda and worry about tomorrow, well, when it arrives. This approach dictates mandatory last-minute shopping, creative ideas on how-to-quick-thaw a 16 lb. turkey, and wishes of having 3 ovens. For me, these are almost traditions that every year I try to change.

Thanksgiving Eve, after returning from church, I think, "it's time for me to make my pumpkin pies. The first thing I do? Call my mom.

"Hi Mom! What are you up to?"

"I'm baking, sewing, crafting, designing..." It could be just about anything. My mom is always busy.

"Hey, do you have that Pie Crust Delicious recipe? I know you gave it to me last year, and the year before, and maybe I wrote it down somewhere, but could you give it to me again?"

We chat while I gather the ingredients. I ask about her Thanksgiving preparations. It's been a long time since we spent Thanksgiving together. I feel connected, as if we are standing in the same kitchen working together. Giving thanks and gathering with family just go together.

Last year, in my desire to tame my resistant-to-planning nature, I purchased premade crusts. Although they were tasty, as good as home-made, I found them lacking. I missed my mom and her expert advice. My kitchen was much too quiet and empty without my baking partner. Planning ahead is overrated.

This year, I'm not making pies. But come Thanksgiving Eve, I'm calling Mom.

Thanksgiving Memories 2006

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Joanne.

Heth said...

I love this.

Anonymous said...

:o)

Kristin said...

Your mom sounds like a special lady. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Ann said...

I hear you. This will be our very first Thanksgiving just our little family. Actually, I'm looking forward to it :) My first time making ALL the food.

By the way, last night we had your Mexican lasagne, we LOVED it!!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. You sound so much like a dear friend of mine who lives in the same town as I do. She can never plan more than 24 hours ahead and even that doesn't come easily. We usually know that she will have an answer the morning of. We usually pull one out of her the night before, so we aren't all scrambling the morning of...