Monday, June 16, 2008

Moms Get To Choose

I was reading On The Upside today, and Kellan shared a story about taking her kids to see Kung Fu Panda. She stated she really doesn't like going to kiddie movies. It reminded me of a conversation I had years ago with a friend.

I was at a church potluck, chatting with a her. I noticed our children playing together and having fun, so I decided to invite them to the zoo. I'd planned to take my kids the next day with another friend. I asked her if they'd like to come along.

Her response: "No thanks. I don't like the zoo. I don't like roller-skating either." (She must have heard me talking about a few days earlier.) I stood there for a moment, taking in what had been said.

She doesn't like the zoo??? Did I? I'd never asked myself if 'I' wanted to go to the zoo, or whether or not I liked it. Was she saying moms get to choose activities with their children based on their own likes and dislikes? Dragging my kids to the Natural History Museum was optional??? I had no idea moms like this existed.

I thought of my own mom. We went on many adventures. We picked strawberries, went mining at the Apache Tear mine, explored old Indian Ruins (I know, not a politically correct term now,) went rock climbing, swimming, picnics in the mountains. Dad took us camping, fishing, showed us how criminals were fingerprinted at his office. I wonder how many activities my parents shared with us, that they didn't particularly enjoy, but did just for us? I suspect there were a few, but I never knew it. I only have fond memories of our outings. (Even the ones I didn't want to do at the time.)

I'm thankful my parents weren't selfish parents, doing only things they "wanted" to do. How different my life would have been. Thanks Mom & Dad!

8 comments:

PJ said...

Isn't it just the truth? If I only did the things I liked my life would be much less full than it is now!! It not only benefits the kids (or whomever I am joining in an activity), but it benefits me too!!

His Girl said...

I'm finding ways to get balance. There are some things that I hate to do, but their grandmothers or dad or friends love- so we schedule playdates.

There are some things that I hate to do but do anyway, and I think that our relationships and their lives are better for it for certain.

Anonymous said...

AMEN! :o)

Anonymous said...

One of the great blessing of being a SAHM is that I GET to go to fun places like the zoo, the museum, etc.

I took my kids to the "FREE" movie at Denver West a couple of weeks ago. I knew it was going to be a logistical nightmare for me, but I did it anyway knowing they'd have a great time. They did. We are going back to a movie this week.

I am not a big fan of playgrounds in the summer (too hot, I am like a delicate flower...snort). But we go.

The one place I truly loathe and avoid like the plague is Chuck E. Cheese. That's a once-ever-three-years place for us.

And who doesn't like the zoo!?!

Mylinda said...

Wow! That's amazing, isn't it?? I think the only place I really hate going, that the kids love is the beach. I absolutely hate the beach (I know, I'm weird. What can I say?? lol) I suspect that if I had a home that backed up to the beach, where I didn't have to drag bunches of junk to the beach then home again, along with sticky, sandy kids, I might actually like the beach better. But, alas, I don't. And, even though I hate going, I drag all the junk there and home, along with sticky, sandy kids just for their enjoyment and memories. Then, of course, it's a bonus if a friend is going and wants to take my kids with them...oh yeah!! I get to stay home!! yipee!! :-)

Kristin said...

I don't enjoy all the activities for ME (or the work that goes along with it), but I certainly love seeing my kids have a good time and I enjoy what they are doing THROUGH them.

I guess I'm still a kid at heart, though, because there really aren't many things I don't enjoy (DH is another story.)

Your friend sounds like my Dad -- thankfully, my Mom was thoughtful and adventurous. I always try to remember (esp. when I'm worn out) that I will regret it if I don't do things with my kids and rarely ever regret it if I do.

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Man! If one is only aiming at what is pleasant and easy and likeable, WHY have kids? I'm glad your parents were like that. Mine were not, but we determined that with our own kids we would be. And the zoo and the museum and the pioneer village and the musical machines...etc. were FUN! This kinda chapped my hide, just to think of saying "I" don't like roller skating..or whatever. Grrrr.