Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Falling

Whenever I hear about an older person falling, it scares me. I worry about my inlaws falling. My dad wrenched his ankle recently going downstairs. A couple of years ago, my mom stepped off a curb, fell, and tore her rotator cuff. My grandmother fell taking out the trash. She never recovered and that fall cut short her life.

I watch a baby takes her first steps. She tumbles more than she stands, but bounces back to her feet. Sure she gets an occasional bump or bruise, but mostly it is no big deal. Adults do have farther to fall, but as we age, we no longer bounce. It is more like a thud.

I fell almost 2 weeks ago. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I lost my balance and came crashing down. I continue to have a residual headache which causes me to feel out of it almost daily. Last week I blamed feeling like this on having workers in my home, but I think it was the headache that made it difficult to deal with their banging. I've been especially forgetful.

I missed meeting with an online friend who was in town. I didn't remember the date.

I feel old.

8 comments:

His Girl said...

oh, man. I hate forgetting, falling, and feeling old. *sympathy*

Mylinda said...

Maybe you should have a dr. check you out if you're still having headaches. That doesn't sound good. Take care of your self!

Kristin said...

Oh, it's true -- SO much scarier to fall nowadays. I almost fell down our wood stairs the other day, thankfully, I caught myself and only slipped a few. Whew!

Of course, my kids regularly fall down the stairs and just bounce. My littlest boy fell HEAD OVER HEEELS down the stairs and I almost had a heart attack, but he just got up, cried a minute, and was off!

Anonymous said...

Joanne,

I completely agree with mylinda. I think you should go have it checked out. Especially if you are still having headaches and you are forgetfull. The 2 together are what worry me.

Keep us updated!!!!

~Tammy~ said...

JoAnne, Make an appointment with a chiropractor!
If it is something out of alignment in your back, he can fix it... and if you need a prescribing doctor, a good chiropractor isn't afraid to tell you to go see one.

You will feel a lot better.

PJ said...

Sounds like you have a concussion -- I'd check with a doctor.

BUt I know what you mean. I walk a bit more carefully, climb less, make sure I use a ladder rather than my old stack-a-chair-on-a-table style climbing.

I like the mental/emotional stability, the reactions that are easier to control and the wisdom that comes with age. I dread that unsteadiness of step!!!

Do get yourself checked out -- it could be pulled muscles in your neck spasming or inflamed. But no need to suffer if you can get relief.

Kellan said...

Did you see the doctor after your fall? Maybe you should - since you are having headaches. Take care - Kellan

Jenni said...

I'm so sorry, Joanne!! I hate falling too...it always makes me want to cry "mommy!" but instead I have to suck it up because I remember *I'm* the mommy!