Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Tyrant

I've never been one who is terribly organized. For years, I created these wonderfully detailed schedules that were ridiculously impossible to follow. But when I don't at least try, I become a victim to the urgency of the moment. And I miss out on truly important things. I hate that.

Sometimes the urgent things come by way of a phone call, the desire to check something out on the internet, or even a walk to the mailbox. I get caught up in the busyness of those around me and accomplish nothing seemingly worthwhile.

Today I wasn't terribly motivated to do the things that needed to be accomplished. But it wasn't that I was distracted by so many things. I was tired. I didn't go to sleep last night until 5 this morning.

I was on my way to bed around 1 a.m., but Elisabeth came in and was having severe back pain. After chastising her for not taking better care of herself, making her feel worse, I realized her pain was at the point of warranting a trip to the Emergency Room.

Have I mentioned I don't go anywhere without having my hair done and makeup on. Seriously, I don't even walk to the mailbox. But last night I'd already washed my face and was ready for some Zzzz's by the time we decided to go. For the first time that I can remember, I put my clothes on and off we went. Without a drop of makeup. And I survived. (Could my obsession with my hair/makeup routine be a tyrant of sorts?)

The ER at 2 in the morning is an interesting place. The thin curtain separating the beds allows one to peak into the lives of others who have arrived at this same place. The reasons for being there are varied. The language can be crude. I couldn't help but overhear the sordid details of the girl behind the curtain's life, the drugs she used, her injury and the breakup with her loser boyfriend-her words edited. The little lady who came in on a gurney because she was caring for her 91 year old husband when she fell. When she couldn't get up, he managed to drop a phone on her head, and the laceration was bleeding profusely. What was her husband doing with a phone at 3 in the morning?

Okay, I think I'm getting distracted. This is why I need to create more of a schedule to my life. I hate routines, but distraction is a terrible tyrant. I've lost much time to it.

7 comments:

Kellan said...

Oh, I have lists going all the time in an attempt to keep up with our lives.

I hope your daughter is okay -what was it?

Take care - Kellan

Anonymous said...

Oh I know, the emergency room can be quite interesting. When I took Owen there for his broken wrist we saw and heard all kinds of stuff. I wish Owen didn't have to see/hear it.

I hope Sarabeth is feeling better and you were able to get a nice long nap in.

mommy to six J's said...

I hate the emergency room. It is very interesting place to visit. I hope all was well with Sarabeth and you were able to get lots of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's Char

Bekki said...

OOOHHH I get easily distracted too!! This morning, my poor baby had to wait forever to get her milk because I got busy doing something else. Whoops!
I hope your daughter is ok!!

Anonymous said...

Hope Sarabeth is feeling better!

You went sans makeup? How are YOU feeling today? ;o)

Kristin said...

Oh, I feel like the ER has been our 2nd home this year! We've been there, at least 3 times, since spring! And, yes, in the middle of the night, too. The good thing is that no one else was there, so we got right in.

Funny about the make-up, too. I'm sort of like that, too, but I've had to let it go some. Even more funny because I don't know many people in rural NH that even wear makeup. My Mom, though, was the worst -- she always had to be completely done-up (hair and makeup) to get the mail, too. LOL. She's 62 and looks pretty darned good, though!

Lori said...

Doesn't sound fun. I hate having to go to the emergency room. How's your daughter?