Monday, December 01, 2008

The Gift That Keeps On Giving

Growing up, my mom never insisted that I make my bed. She had more important things to think about. Besides, if I'd made my bed, it would have taken the fun out of jumping on it. As an adult, I love having a nicely made bed. It makes my bedroom look clean and tidy.

Sometime last year, I made a deal with Michael. Whoever crawls out of bed last makes the bed. This sounded like a perfect arrangement to me. You see, 5 days a week, I get up first. On the weekends I sleep later. Plus it makes sense. If I get up first, I can't make the bed right away. It's a chore to come back later just to make the bed.

It never ceases to put a smile on my face when I walk into the bedroom & find the bed made. For me, it looks like a beautiful gift, wrapped in perfect packaging. Michael makes the bed so much nicer than I do. I've never actually watched him do it, but it looks like it takes him a long time. The pillows aren't just thrown, but neatly placed. (I figure throw pillows should be tossed and land where they may.) The comforter hangs down evenly. The sheets and blankets are tucked so they don't fall below the comforter. A simply delightful gift that brings joy each time it is presented.

The bed makers gift? He gets to sleep a little longer.

4 comments:

Mountain Mama said...

I can't imagine anyone making a bed for me. That hasn't happened since I was a very little girl and my mother did it.
It must be so nice though.

Anonymous said...

Our bed never gets made. Someone is always in it! I sleep at night. Jay sleeps during the day still. Chuckle.

Sweetums has to make hers before she watches any television in the morning.

Kristin said...

I've been SO bad about making our bed lately, but I agree, it IS nice to see it that way and makes our room neater and more homey. Well, we are getting a new comforter set soon, so I am determined it will be made! (Well, as often as possible . . .)

PJ said...

Makes me laugh. We do the same thing. And...yes...when he does it, it's neater!!!