Friday, December 12, 2008

A Christmas Child


(Revisiting a previous post)

It was nearing Christmas and I was 32 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. The hustle and bustle of the season was wearing on me. My focus was not on the true meaning of Christmas but the busyness of a holiday. On that particular morning, I was up extra early. I was determined to have some quiet time before my children awoke. I needed that quiet.

I shivered in the cold morning air. As early as it was, it appeared to be light outside. I opened the drapes of our picture window. I stood in amazement. Snow had fallen overnight and the grass and trees were blankets of white. The sun was not yet up, but the snow glistened in the moonlight. It was one of those moments I wanted to share with others but didn't dare move for fear of missing out on it.

After a bit, I cozied myself into an overstuffed chair by the window to spend some of the quiet. I asked the Lord to help me keep the stillness inside so I could reflect on the true meaning of Christmas. My thoughts drifted to the first Christmas. What was it like to be pregnant with Jesus? Was it a cold night when his mother gave birth, outdoors in a stable? What were her thoughts as she neared the end of her pregnancy? Being with child myself, I knew the hours I spent wondering about my unborn baby. What would she look like? Would she be all girl wearing lace socks and frilly dresses or would she be more of a tomboy preferring to stomp in puddles in mud-stained jeans?

How did Mary deal with the anticipation of the awesome task before her? She was to raise Jesus, the Son of God. God himself. Did she worry about the mistakes she'd make? No parent is perfect. Even if her little boy was without sin, that didn't mean being his parent was easy. She would have sleepless nights, her baby would cry. It was her responsibility to teach him right and wrong, to guide and direct him. Ultimately she would train up her child to be the Savior of the world. I was completely overwhelmed at the thought of what it would be like to be the mother of Jesus. The task was daunting. Just as I imagined my inability to perform this duty the words of Jesus flooded my mind:

"Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

The gravity of it pressed in on me. I could not move, I could hardly breathe. My child, my unborn child, and each one of my children, was no less important than Jesus himself. Being a mom and raising my children right was every bit as serious as it was for Mary to parent Jesus. I sat there for a good long while. I was pregnant with my 3rd child. I wasn't aware that I would be blessed with 2 more precious children. Five. At that moment, 3 was almost terrifying.

But then, just as the snow had blanketed and softened the outdoors, the Lord's presence enveloped me. I knew I was not alone in this task. I was partnered with God. He already knew everything about my unborn child and what she would need for her future. I would surely make mistakes. But if I spent quiet times with Him, silencing the noise around me, God would guide me. He knows the best parenting plan for each one of us

2 comments:

Jenni said...

That is beautiful, Joanne! I must have missed this the first time around, or else my memory really IS shot...thanks for sharing again...

Kristin said...

I missed this, too, and it's SO timely for me right now. Thanks for sharing!