Monday, December 15, 2008

What A Day It Has Been

I squinted to try to see more clearly. This can't possibly be right. My indoor weather station said the temperature on my back porch was -34 degrees. Impossible! I knew we were supposed to have record cold temperatures, but not this cold. I pushed the button to see the temperature reading for the front of the house. Thirty-one degrees below zero. Typically, our porch readings run a bit warmer than the official temperatures for our area. So how could this thermometer be accurate???

I was a little embarrassed when Michael pointed out the tiny dot between the 3 & 4. So it was really only negative 3.4 degrees outside my window. I quickly dressed as warmly as possible. Normally I don't have to go out so early, but I was taking Christopher and Lauren to the airport. Their best friends are being married in Mexico. They were quite excited to be getting out of the cold of Denver.

Since I was driving Christopher's 4 wheel drive, I handed Hilary the keys to the Suburban. The roads were icy and I was glad she would be driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle also. We left at the same time, headed the same direction. I glanced at the time. Even though the drive was slow going, I thought I would pick up the wedding party in time to get them to the airport.

All of the sudden, an SUV from a side road came flying past the stop sign. I watched in horror as it hit the back of the Suburban Hilary was driving. Life in front of me began moving in slow motion. On impact, the Suburban spun completely around. I began to brake the vehicle I was driving. Everything came to a stop. I'm not sure which is worse, getting a phone call that your child has been in an accident, or witnessing the whole thing.

Thankfully, nobody was hurt. Poor Michael. I ran home and got him out of the shower & dropped him off at the accident. I proceeded on to the airport run. More than 3 hours later, I arrived home. Still shaken.

In a few minutes, another daughter, Sarabeth, will begin driving home from Arizona. Did I mention how cold it is outside? Or how icy the roads are? In Phoenix it might be warm, but once she gets out of town, it is bitter cold and stormy. I will be very happy when I know she is safe at home. In the meantime, I'm going to imagine Christopher sitting on the beach somewhere in sunny Mexico-completely relaxed. And in the background I hear the words to a familiar tune,

"Every blessing you pour out,
I turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say...
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your name"

9 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

oh Joanne! My heart about stopped! I hope all of your kids reach their destinations safely.
My 20 y.o. is driving on icy roads tonight for the first time... I know this is one night I won't go to bed until he is home safely!

I have been disturbed since a young man who frequented my job was killed earlier in the past week in a car accident. So many "If only's" have crossed my mind.
(((HUGS)))

cheryl said...

I'm so glad she's okay.. I pray continuously when mine are out on the snowy, icy, even perfectly dry roads, so I can imagine what you've been feeling!

Lisa said...

Oh my! I'm so glad she's okay. I can't even imagine. My own 16yo is so tired of me repeating "be careful, be careful" but of course, sometimes, it's not your fault.

Melanie said...

Oh, my goodness! I'm so thankful everyone is okay! Praying everyone gets to their destinations and back home safely.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow how scary. So glad everyone is fine. There must be so many of those accidents in your area when it is so very cold

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! How scary. I bet that shaved years off your life. Maybe you can get them back by joining Christopher in Mexico?

I'm glad everyone is okay, though. I hope Sarabeth is home by now or near home? You won't rest until she is in your arms.

Kristin said...

Oh Joanne, how scary! I'm so glad she is OK. Our oldest drives, too, and totaled our car almost 3 years ago. When he called, he was shaken up and I realized that it could have been the police telling me he was gone. ::shudder::

I pray your other daughter has a safe trip from AZ.

Heth said...

AcK! How scary. I'm so glad she is ok!

His Girl said...

my heart totally stopped when I read that... whew! glad ya'll are alright and hope you are enjoying your Christmas...

I'm playing catch up on blogs today, and have enjoyed reading every word on yours ;)

except the crash part-my heart is still pounding!