Thursday, November 05, 2009

Reminiscing

I'm reminiscing a bit. On this day last year, I flew to Arizona to celebrate my Mom & Dad's 50th Wedding Anniversary. It had been a wild ride with my mom's health and we weren't able to plan a big to-do as my parents had done for their 40th. For that anniversary, we all went on a hot air balloon ride.

Not knowing when mom's health would improve, they chose to put off the celebration for awhile. I was sad. I did not want their special day to come and go without some sort of recognition. Fifty years of marriage is quite an accomplishment. I decided to fly down and if nothing else, make dinner for them, and we could share a quiet meal together. I informed my sisters and brother of my plan.

Amazingly, a plan was birthed. Like a fine-oiled machine, each one of us did our part to pull together what normally would take more than 2 weeks. We worked with incredible teamwork and had a very nice get together. Mom later said the very best part of the gathering was seeing her 4 kids having so much fun putting it all together. And we did. Each facet of the party was expertly accounted for as we used our creative talents.

Greg offered his home and boy does he have a knack for cleaning. Meticulous & detailed, he doesn't miss anything. I wish I could hire him to clean my house. His home is so very welcoming. I was equally impressed at the organization and creativity of his wife and my 2 sisters. Big and little additions that never would have crossed my mind, made the evening special. We shared the cooking, decorating, & clean-up. I put together a quick slideshow of past and present photos.

All of the grandchildren couldn't be there, or Michael, but all of us kids were there. It made for a smaller gathering, but sometimes that can be much more meaningful than the crazy chaos of a big family. There are 29 of us officially, but opportunity to expand at any given moment.

Someone thought to sit my parents and their 4 kids at one table during dinner. Talk about flashbacks from growing up. We laughed and remembered. It was great to reconnect. Not that we didn't miss those who couldn't attend, but we cherished the connection of 4 siblings and our parents. It brought great joy to all.

I hope my own children, no matter where this life leads them, will always share a special bond with their siblings.

3 comments:

As We Sail... said...

Oh what a nice time. Our family likes to reminisce when we get together, and it can last late into the night.

Mother Mayhem said...

I love it when a plan comes together! :o)

Kristin said...

That is so special. I have 7 siblings, but the bond is, sadly, thin between most of us. This is one reason I cultivate good relationships among my own children and it is really paying off!