Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thunk Thursday

Today I deserve a thunk. I accidently deleted my Thunk Thursday Photo. It was a good one too. So instead of Thunk Thursday, today is Thumbs Up Thursday. My thumbs up goes to my dermatologist. This is the story:

When I scheduled Hilary's appointment, as per usual, the receptionist reminded me to come a few minutes early, "as Dr. Ken runs on time." Her appointment was for 11:45a.m. We arrived promptly at 11:38 a.m.

At 11:42, we were called back to the examining room and Dr. Ken walked in at 11:44. He spoke with Hilary for a few minutes and declared her skin as good and no need for anything further. He then turned to me.

"How are you doing? Do you need anything?"

"Well, actually I have this little spot that I need you to check...so I'll make an appointment."

"Do you want me to look at it now?" He didn't need to ask me twice. After looking it over, he asked if I wanted him to freeze it off or go ahead and biopsy it. This spot has been frozen twice, so I told him he could go ahead and biopsy. Within a minute he'd injected lidocaine to numb it, sliced a sliver of skin, cauterized it to minimize bleeding, applied a bandage and I was out the door.

He said he wasn't going to charge me for Hilary's visit since she didn't really need to be seen, but I'd need to stop at the checkout desk to pay my copay. I checked my watch. It was 11:55. A mere 10 minutes after Hilary's scheduled appointment. Why can't all doctors be this efficient?

As I made my payment, I remarked to the girl how much I appreciated being able to get in and out so quickly. She laughed as she printed up my superbill and said, "some people don't like it. They don't feel like they get their money's worth. So we have another doctor who is slower and doesn't run on schedule. It keeps everyone happy."

I think Dr. Ken is the best ever.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Oh, a good doctor is GOLD. I hope your tests come out negative.