Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Fifty Pieces Of The Puzzle

I think of my life as a giant jigsaw puzzle.  At some point, the picture will be complete and my life on earth will end.  I'd like to believe I won't have any lost or missing pieces, or any in the wrong place.  Many of the pieces represent people.  Some are part of the background, but without their perfect shape/color/imprint that has left its mark, my life would be incomplete.  Some make up the body, or main part, who give me sight or insight, shaping who I am.  Without each one, no matter how big or small, I would be a different person without each one's influence.

To celebrate my 50th birthday, I'd planned to send out 50 letters to acknowledge some of these pieces in my life.  I have many written, but not finished.  I am going to try to post one a week.  (Hopefully also send a note to each person, if possible.)

Today, I'd like to send this one out to my dad. 

Dad, how do I say thank-you for the last 50 years?  It wasn't until I was an adult that I began to see a lot of little things you did that gave me a sense of security and love.  I took them for granted.  I assumed they were just things a dad does.  It didn't take me long to figure out that this is not the case. You've always watched out for your family.

 Double checking to make sure the doors are locked, taking out the trash, always walking people out to their car, placing my order at a restaurant-okay, it wasn't a sit-down restaurant.  You and I were at Jack-In-The-Box just a couple of years ago.  you asked me what I wanted, and then you ordered our food.  It brought back so many memories of the little things like this that you do that made me feel special and taken care of.  I hope you don't think it sounds like no big deal, because so often it is little things that mean the most.

There are so many more things I could thank you for.  A few I mentioned here:
http://live4truth13.blogspot.com/2006/06/dad-remember-when-you-took-me-and-greg.html

I'm thankful that you are a godly example to those around you and that you pray for your kids, their spouses, and grandkids.

I know I can count on your honesty & integrity in every of your life.  You don't separate your home life, from your professional and personal life-unlike so many in the public eye who think you can compartmentalize character.  You can't, and you don't.  You live your values.

Thanks for the wonderful memories, for building character into my life, and for sharing your love of music/steel guitar that shaped my love for music.

I love you Dad!

No comments: