Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving Memories.

I know a few people who have their Thanksgiving tables set. (I began this post a few days ago.) Many are busy baking and cooking today in preparation. Some are crazy busy cleaning their homes as guests arrive later. Me? I'm just relaxing. We aren't having anyone over for Thanksgiving.

Earlier in the week, my sister-in-law made the suggestion that instead of having the kids juggle spending Thanksgiving with both sets of parents/family, why not have Thanksgiving on Saturday so there is less stress. Done.

For some reason, this seemed a little too familiar. Had we done this before? Why yes, yes we have. Last year, I cooked the turkey on the Sunday following Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving, I grilled salmon for Sarabeth, Travis, Michael, and I. On Friday, we went to the Springs to celebrate with Christina and family. Christopher and Lauren were in California. Hilary was in Chicago with her soon-to-be inlaws.

I switched up the day in order to save my children stress. But maybe it adds stress tacking on a second Thanksgiving Day?

I better get busy planning Christmas.

Since we are home alone, I am reflecting on past Thanksgivings and am so very thankful!
Thanksgiving 2011

This was the first Thanksgiving spent without my husband and girls. Thankfully, I spent it with the rest of my family: my parents, sisters, brother, their families, my son and his wife. I flew with my mother-in-law to Phoenix so she could spend it with her daughters. Since I took the photo, it seems like I wasn't actually there, but I was.

Two days later, the family joined me in Arizona for my nephews wedding. Happy Anniversary Nick and Laura.

Thanksgiving 2003

This was our first Thanksgiving we celebrated away from home, and our first without Christopher. Thankful to have cousins who live nearby and who are so much fun.

Thanksgiving 2004

The year grandson Ethan brought back memories of son Christopher eating the middle of my pumpkin pie.

Thanksgiving 2006

The year I set my table with name cards and everything...but didn't get a single photo of our family.
Thanksgiving 2008

The day with the cousins and inlaws, all 16 of us. (Trying to figure out what everyone is doing in these pics.) 

Thanksgiving 2009

Shortly after celebrating my inlaws 60th anniversary, we spent our last Thanksgiving with my father-in-law.

Thanksgiving 2010, somehow I don't make it into the picture yet again.

Thanksgiving 2013

Thanksgiving 2015

Before spending it by ourselves, Michael and I went to a movie with Hilary, Ryan, Beckham, Elisabeth, and Brian.

Truthfully,
Joanne

"Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place."

No comments: