Tuesday, December 22, 2015

What Love

Late in the evening, December 21st, 2009, my father-in-law was in excruciating pain. The doctors explained that medication to alleviate his suffering, would lower his blood pressure to a place where he could no longer sustain life. It would cause him to fade into a coma. It would be the end. He understood the choice before him. He chose to be out of pain.

As he became more comfortable and relaxed, we began our good-byes. We told him how much we loved him. We thanked him for being an incredible father and grandfather. He had spent his life well.

Michael held his father's hand.  his wife cupped his face, and spoke tenderly. She thanked him for 60 years of marriage, and for their 5 children. Stroking his cheek, she told him how very much she loved him.

Knowing he was about to close his eyes for the final time, I fumbled with my phone. I did not want to intrude on this most intimate, sacred moment. Unsure how much time was left, I snapped this grainy photo as my mother-in-law leaned over and gave her beloved one last kiss. True love.


He passed into the next life the following day. On March 15, 2015, my mother-in-law joined her beloved in Paradise. I would like to have witnessed that reunion, met with a holy kiss.

Truthfully,
Joanne

Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.” (Luke 23:43)

No comments: