Monday, November 14, 2016

Day 2 Atlanta

After falling asleep sometime after 1:30 a.m., the morning came bright and early. Aspen was a joy and delight. She didn't cry when her mom left. I chose not to venture out and tried to acclimate to my new surroundings.

The apartment is lovely, but small. So very thankful for the queen air mattress that takes up the entire living room. It deflates quickly and I roll it up to the side of the room. I wish I'd brought a smaller suitcase, it takes up a lot of space.

Our morning was mostly uneventful. Aspen did cry while I took a shower. After her morning nap, I figured we should take the dogs outside. I did not want to lose the door key or the key fob, so I attached both to my rental car key. The building is pretty secure both to park and enter or exit the building. Before attempting to take both dogs out while carrying Aspen, I take her for a little walk to check out my surroundings. I go through several doors and down a couple of flights of stairs, but can't open the gate to outdoors. I pull. I wave the magic fob. I pull again. Nothing. What if i manage to get outside, but then can't get back in? Well, why worry about that when I can't figure out how to actually get outside? I text my daughter hoping she is able to answer soon.  I notice a bright red exit button on the wall near the gate. I wonder if that will open the door. It looks eerily like an emergency exit button and I fear pushing it, will cause alarms and sirens to screech. I carry Aspen back up the two flights of stairs.

SB texts that the gate should be open, but doesn't open automatically, just unlocks. And yes, the red button can be pushed to unlock it-at least if you are on the inside wanting out. I carry Aspen back down the stairs. I push the red button, walk back to the gate and pull. Nothing. I feel pretty silly when I finally realize I just need to push instead of pull. Back up the two flights of stairs to get the dogs.

After struggling with both dogs just to snap their leashes on, (I should have put Aspen down before attempting this,) we were finally out the door. Bailey runs to my right, Camden runs around to my left, their leashes wrap around my legs rather quickly. Over and over they jump and act crazy, dragging me through the hall and down the stairs.

I quickly realize I need to keep both leashes in my right hand and hold Aspen in my left. Their pulling could easily knock me forward, causing me to drop her. Outside, they pull like crazy, jumping and dancing all over the place. Camden did her duty. I dutifully, untied the green bag and scooped the poop. I pulled the dogs to the waste can and drop it in. Camden makes another deposit right next to the can. Thankfully there are plenty of green bags. I snatch another, scoop and dump. This is all done while holding Aspen in my left arm, the leashes of the dogs around my right, my cell phone in my pocket, and keys in my other pocket.


I know there is a dog park close by, just not sure exactly where. It doesn't take me long to decide it is too much and we head back to the gate to enter the building. It is then that I realize the keys are no longer in my pocket. How could I could drop them without hearing them hit the ground?  Honestly, we are quite close to the highway, so there is a lot of noise. I shouldn't be surprised.

I wonder what the rental car company is going to charge when I tell them I lost the key. Someone somewhere  mentioned over $200. I was beginning to panic, tracing my steps. Could I have dropped them in the poop disposal? Oh my goodness, I was not about to dig around in there. I scanned the horizon. Nothing. I open the lid of the poop can and look. I don't see them, but they probably would have slipped down. I was not ready to start digging around. I retrace my steps and search the area some more.

Desperate, I finally get my wits about me and send a quick prayer to God. A few seconds later, I spy the keys sitting on the pavement. Let me tell you how happy I was. I didn't care that I dragged and was dragged back into the building, up the stairs and down the hallways to the apartment. I was exhausted.

We went out to dinner that night and had a wonderful time. I'm so very thankful to be here.

I did learn a few things. One, Michael and I make a great team, and I miss him. This day would have gone much smoother had he been here. He wouldn't have kept pulling on the door instead of pushing. (Palm to the forehead.) Secondly, I wish all of my kids and grandkids lived closer. I was reminded how much I miss seeing them.

Truthfully,
Joanne

"And when she has found it, she calls her friends and neighbors together, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece which I lost!" (Luke 15:9)

1 comment:

Sarabeth said...

This post cracked me up. I'm glad Atlanta was able to inspire you to write!