Monday, March 03, 2008

Secrets

I grew up with an older sister who couldn't keep a secret. If Carolyn knew a secret, we were lucky if it lasted a few hours. I'm not sure why, but asking her not to tell, was like putting a plate of cookies before a sweet-toothed child and asking her not to touch or taste them. Whisper a secret into her ear, and it would come spilling out her lips.

I, on the other hand, loved keeping secrets. I was the best secret keeper I knew. Even my parents trusted me with secrets. Sometimes I knew of trips we would take before anyone else. I'd know what my dad was getting for his birthday. Maybe I felt special that someone trusted me with their secret-so much so, that I wouldn't do anything to lose that entrusted place.

The older I become, it is harder to keep a secret. I can still keep them, but I want everyone to know that "I" have a secret that I'm keeping. I'll announce that I have a secret. If you have read my blog for awhile, you probably remember another time when I shared that I had a surprise secret but couldn't tell what it was. But I had no problem saying I had a secret. And I did really enjoy when it was no longer a secret and I could share it openly.

So, I know a secret. I'm dying to say something, but I won't. And sometime in the near future, I will mention this post and release the secret. I will enjoy every minute of it. For now, I delight in knowing that I know a secret and in being able to say I have a secret.

14 comments:

His Girl said...

i can't wait!!!!!

I love surprises... even if they're not for me!!!

Ann said...

I know! I'm right there with His Girl. I will be going crazy waiting to hear what the secret is!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, you're killing me. I cannot tolerate secrets. They make me nervous and twitchy and on-edge.

I can't wait to hear what it is, Joanne!

Kellan said...

Well, there is nothing worse than telling someone you have a secret and then ... NOT TELLING THEM WHAT IT IS!! I love a secret and can't wait to hear what it is - how exciting! Have a good Monday - see you soon. Kellan

Heth said...

Wheeeee! Can't wait to hear what it is.

Jenni said...

LOL you evil wench!! I'm with Gretchen...I can't wait to hear what it is!

Truth said...

Anyone wanna guess????

FLmom7 said...

Darn it, Joanne, I hate secrets! You *have* to tell us now, you know that, right?

Anonymous said...

A secret huh? Guess...? hmmm, YOU'RE ADOPTING TRIPLET BABIES!

haha, probably not, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if you were.

I guess I will wait with anticipation to find out what it is

PJ said...

Okay!! Who's having a baby?? That sounds like grandma-to-be glee!! (Am I even close?????)

And thanks for your well-wishes.

Anonymous said...

Well???

Ann said...

I know what it is!!! You're taking all your blogging friends on a cruise with you!!! YAY!!!

heehee :)

Truth said...

Woohoo! I like Ann's guess. And if I ever find myself with a few extra hundred thousand of dollars in my pocket, you know I would do just that.

I can't reveal the surprise just yet. But I will as soon as I can.

Kristin said...

OH, can't wait to hear!